Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Book Thief Movie

Just like I promised, I am back with a review of the movie "The Book Thief." In the beginning of the week I wrote a post about the book and what I thought about it. I loved the book so much that I wanted to see the movie. So here we are. I will try my very best not to spoil the movie completely but I will be talking about different scenes throughout  this post. So if you are planning on seeing the movie, I would be careful before reading any further.


First thing I would like to talk about is the look of the movie, meaning the settings and props, etc. I found the settings of the movie to be very accurate and beautiful. Since I read the book, I went into watching this movie with my own idea of what I thought the settings would look like and how the different scenarios would look visually. And the movie seemed to capture these images pretty well. There was a lot of detail in each "set" and I was pleasantly surprised. You could tell that the movie was made to really feel like you were there in Germany during the time where there was Nazis's controlling the country. I was really impressed with the look of the movie.

Now for the actors that make up the great characters. In the movie, the major characters are all there and are on full display but some of the smaller character( or characters that did not appear as much as the major ones) were not there at all. Which is fine but some of these "small" characters I really liked. But oh well. The characters that were in the movie, were portrayed very well by their actors. These actors include Sophie NelisseEmily WatsonGeoffrey Rush, and Nico Liersch. I was so happy to see these actors give the incredible characters of the book some justice. They each really did portray their characters well and helped to truly bring them to life.

(Spoilers Below)

Lastly the actual story line, or how well the movie stuck to the book. For the most part, the movie stayed true to the book. Now I know that most of the time, the movie can't be exactly like the book or the movie would be like five hours long. And I don't think any one can last through a full 5 hours without a break. But this movie did pretty well at sticking to the book. There are some differences that I thought were pretty important that were not in the movie. For example, Rosa Huberman, who is Liesel adoptive mother, does the laundry for the Mayor and his wife, Ilsa Hermann. When the mayor and his wife ask that Rosa not do their laundry anymore due to financial reasons, Liesel gets very defensive and for the first time, really speaks whats on her mind. I find this scene to be a amazing character building moment for Liesel and it is not portrayed in the the movie. Another major change was who gave Liesel the blank book for her to fill with her own words. In the book, Max Vandenburg works hard to make a picture book for Liesel that tells her how powerful words really are and Ilsa Herman, the mayors wife, gives Liesel the blank book. But in the movie, Max gives her the blank book instead of Ilsa. I found this to be very important because in the book, Max works hard and long to make Liesel a book as a present to tell her how important and powerful words are. Plus, by having Ilsa Herman give Liesel the blank book for her to fill shows how much Ilsa likes Liesel and how highly she thinks of her. There are a few other small changes but those are the major two. Other then that, the movie did stay very true to the book which I am very happy and pleased about.
Overall, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Not to mention, a incredible book. I would highly recommend both the book and movie. Well that is all for now my friends. I hope you enjoyed and maybe feel inspired to see/read the The Book Thief. Leave a comment below telling me what movie and or book I should see/read next. Until next time,
<3 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to read my post and leave a comment. It means a lot to me!!
<3