Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

It is that time again where I leave a review of a book that I have read. The most recent book that I have finished is "The Book Thief by Markus Zusak." I will say before I began, I will try my very best to not spoil the book for anyone who wants to read the book themselves. One of the many reasons I wanted to start reading this book was because I had heard amazing reviews about the movie. One of these reviews was from my own mother, who said she absolutely loved it and thought that it was one of the best movies she has ever seen. I soon found out that this amazing movie was based off of a very popular book. I had the mind set that if the movie and book were so well reviewed and loved, that I might as well give it a read. And I have not regretted it. This book is one of the best books I have ever read, and I have read a lot of books.

The book on Amazon
Before I start, I want to give you a little background as to what the book is about. The story is about  Liesel Meminger, a foster girl who is living in Nazi Germany, in 1939. While the entire country is holding their breaths waiting for death to come, Liesel is trying to cope with her new home and family. After the loss of her mother and brother, Liesel finds something that she can't resist. Books. With the help of her foster Father, who she comes to adore, helps her to learn to read, Liesel learns the importance of words and how powerful they are. With her stolen books, she reads to the people of her town during bombing raids and with the Jewish man who lives hidden in her basement.

Normally when I first start a book, if the first three to four chapters don't draw me in, I end up not reading the book. A bad habit, I know but I end up saving the book for later when I don't have anything to read at all. When I first started reading this book, the first few chapters did not draw me in very much. I was considering just saving the book for later. Good thing I didn't. The only reason why I kept going was because it was a very long book and I was hoping that because of this, the book would slowly start to grab my attention. And it did.

One of the things I loved the most about this book more then anything else, is how detailed and slow paced the book is. Their are several small, well detailed stories of events that have happened in Liesels life. These small stories help to provide you with an understanding of how she thinks and feels about different things and why she says and does the things she does. These little stories all provide you an insight into her life and the lives of the different characters. There is also a lot of detail in each of these stories, big and small. The details help you to paint a picture of the events that are taking place and also help to paint a picture of the settings that the different characters are in.

There is really nothing that I wish would change about the book and the story. The only thing that I would change is a very small thing. Throughout the book, the author brilliantly uses real German words in the dialog. In some cases, the author provides a definition of the word. But not for all of them. I wish that somewhere in the book, there was a translation as to what these word(s) mean. But other then that, the book if absolutely incredible.

Now I have not seen the movie, yet. But I will be this weekend. I am considering doing a review of the movie. I plan on watching it this Friday and writing a review Saturday or Sunday. I hope the movie is as good as the book. I am sure it will. But I will let you know. Well that is all for today my friends. Leave a comment below telling me if you have read/watch "The Book Thief" and what you thought about it. Until next time,
<3

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to read my post and leave a comment. It means a lot to me!!
<3